Monday, November 17, 2008

The Rules and First Assignment

Welcome to Book Club!

Well, after along period of procrastination (on my part), we are ready to start this! But first we have a few rules, or thoughts, or guidelines, or you-better-abide-by-all-of-these-or-else things.

Anyway...

#1 - Each book will have a "moderator". That person is in charge of picking the book of their choice, assigning reading sections, and starting the discussion. You'll have to come up with thoughts and questions for us all to answer and talk about, but just as a starting off point. And whoever is the moderator for that month (or however long it takes to get through the books) has complete control over the book choice. The rest of us get to just smile and nod : ) So if you want to choose "Island of the Blue Dolphins" (Which I for one would be thrilled over!) or "War and Peace" or "The Catcher in the Rye" (I beg of all of you, though, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE don't choose that!), go for it!

I'll try not to bemoan stupid Holden Caulfield. (I'm only really complaining about this because I HIGHLY doubt any of you would have chosen that stupid, stupid book.)

When it is your turn to be moderator I'll e-mail you an invitation to become a contributor to this blog. That way each of you can log on and write straight from here.

The order of moderator will be as follows: Kate, Meagan, Karissa, Suz, Katy, and me. So Kate, be ready to announce the new book at the end of "The Master Butchers".

#2 - NO PLOT SPOILERS! However the moderator decides to split a book up is up to them. For "The Master Butchers" we will do it in halves. If you want to read past the halfway point, awesome! Just be sure that you don't include anything in your comments that take us further than the halfway point. Make sense?

#3 - The "discussion"... Since we can't actually talk about all of this in a normal conversation, we are going to talk to each other through the comments section. Comments are posted from first to last. So read through the moderators thoughts in the actual blog and then read through everyones comments and post your own. Pretty easy!

#4 - Everyone must comment at least once per reading section. This is a book club, right? So we all want to hear what you are thinking! So speak up and ask more questions and challenge us! If the discussion takes us a long time, then AWESOME! Let's keep it going : ) And feel free to leave numerous comments.

Okay that's it for the RULES!!!!

Eventually, Katy and I would like to open this to more girls, but for now let's keep it to us just so we can get the "flow" down. But think about ladies you know who might like to participate!

Ummm... I think that's all I've got for right now.

OH!!!!!!!! The first assignment: We will read through chapter eight, "The Burning of the Mutts." In my book that takes us to page 198, almost exactly half way. Let's have that read by December 1, two weeks from today. I hope that works for you all!

I will have a new blog posted on that day with my initial thoughts and questions, and then we shall have this going... YAY!!!!!!

If you all can leave a comment just saying you read this and are able to comment, I would appreciate it. Also, if you have other thoughts or rules, please to mention them!

Be blessed, dear girls,
Gretch

10 comments:

  1. Yes Ma'am! just kidding. I'm in, have my book, and am excited to get started!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo! Starting to read tomorrow! Thank you for altering the background. It is much friendlier on the eyes now. I cannot wait to see how this is going to work

    ReplyDelete
  3. Started reading on Monday, hmmmm, already behind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yay!!! and I'm farther behind than YOU, I guarantee, Kate. I started reading a few weeks ago, but I only seem to get through about 1/2 a page at a time... hmm, I wonder why? Yesterday I did a bit of catching up though, and I am looking forward to this experience with you all! sending love...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just started this morning, and I'm through chapter four...A great read, so far!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are there rules that say I can't keep reading? Just wondering...

    ReplyDelete
  7. nope...as long as you don't put any plot spoilers in your comments, starting tomorrow (make them good Gretch!), on the first half of the novel.

    i love reading while thinking of all you girls, all over the place, reading along with me. i can't wait to hear what you all think of the book. i have to figure out what i think of it first though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm in the middle of chapter three and I'm not feeling this book yet. Can somebody help me appreciate it more?

    ReplyDelete
  9. funny. i thought the same thing...i am finished and still not sure what i think...a different sort of book that is for sure.

    ReplyDelete