Thursday, May 28, 2009

A Soldier of the Great War 4

4. "Rafi was suited perfectly to the mountains, for when he was tested and worn down to practically nothing, his soul was unencumbered, and it rose, drawing him closer to where he wanted to be."

Have you ever felt this way about anything in your life?

2 comments:

  1. I can't comment on Rafi until we're further along in the book.

    But as far as I go, I think if this was true for me then I would have stuck with flute. I feel like I was "worn down" all through college and instead of coming out at the other end polished and free and unencumbered I just felt worn down and hopeless!

    I feel like this was probably true for people like Paul (Bible Paul, that is) but it hasn't been my personal experience with God. And I certainly don't feel that way when i'm physically exhausted, either - then I usually just hate life and want a beer.

    Hmmm. Maybe that makes me lazy. Or unenlightened. I'll be interested to see what the rest of you say!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "tested and worn down to practically nothing"... those are strong words. I am not sure that I have been in this position yet...throughout the difficult situations I have experienced in life, I still usually feel that there is something left, some part of me to hold on to and make better, or some hope of a situation improving.

    Although there are many demons and worries that I wish I could be free of, my soul floating unencumbered above them...I suppose I haven't been worn down enough yet.

    Finally, I think this is an interesting question. Ask me on a bad day, I bet my answer would be different!

    ReplyDelete