Thursday, May 28, 2009

A Soldier of the Great War 3

3. What do you think this quote means? (Alessandro speaking to Nicolo - pg 32 in my book)
"... You must understand that history arises as the interpretation and misinterpretation of passion."

2 comments:

  1. I've heard similar quote, like history is written by those who succeed or win wars. I think in reference to war Alessandro's quote makes a lot of sense. I think both the winning and losing sides of war are fighting for a cause (or at least that is what history teaches us). With World War One, it was somewhat a war of the old ruling monarchies crumbling as the new democratic states take power. (Yes most of the monarchies had ceased to have power by the time the war started in the West but there prescence was still very much around in Eastern Europe.) And to some extent the war was fighting for one's national identity, something I think we all relate to and all of its weirdness. (Am I making any sense?)

    It's like when you have a fight with someone over a misunderstanding. You both fight over whatever was said and stand by what you think is correct. War is kind of like that in some ways. (I'll shut up no cause I don't think I've said anything coherent.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't say that Kate. I think you are on the right track. Each person (group, country, etc.) has their own version of events. Life is not black and white but many shades of grey (had to add to our list of cliche quotes). So I think that this quote is referring to the fact that if you look at anyone's actions they can be taken one way or another (interpreted or misinterpreted) and regardless of which view you choose, a version of history is formed.

    Way over simplifying (and generalizing) an example from my life, Japan has a very passionate view about what they were trying to achieve as a nation in WW2. This is how they choose to interpret their experience. America, China, and Korea would choose to take the view that Japan was not being passionate but rather, aggressive. Japan would say that these countries are "misinterpreting" their actions. And so, history emerges, despite which view is taken. Perhaps both are true, or perhaps not. Both views are formed with conviction and passion. Both histories are remembered.

    ReplyDelete